Top 5 reasons to breastfeed
1. Strengthens your bond with your baby.
2. Reduces the risk of breast, ovarian and other forms of cancer.
3. Can help you burn 500 or more calories per day, half of which are pulled from your fat stores.
4. Breastfed babies are sick less often. That’s means moms miss fewer days of work.
5. Breast milk is free!
WHY IT'S THE PERFECT FOOD
- Babies receive complete nutrients and antibodies from breast milk.
- Breastfed babies are hospitalized 10 times less often than formula-fed babies.
- Your baby will feed on demand. You won’t have to worry about the clock.
- Your earliest milk, called colostrum, contains antibodies to protect your baby. It’s liquid gold!
- Your breast milk adapts to your baby’s needs.
You burn more calories breastfeeding than jogging! See below:
670 calories Spinning workout
500-650 calories Breastfeeding
420 calories Jogging
420 calories High-impact aerobics
400 calories Zumba
370 calories Pilates
DID WE SAY IT'S FREE?
You can average more than $600 in savings in just six months:
Breast milk: $0
BREASTFEEDING PROTECTS YOUR BABY FROM . . .
- Allergies and asthma
- Sudden Infant Death Syndrome, called SIDS
- Vomiting and diarrhea
- Chronic constipation
- Colic and other stomach issues
- Childhood diabetes and obesity
- Ear infections and many other illnesses
• Healthy Mothers Healthy Babies Coalition of Palm Beach County
You May Also Like
Want to breastfeed but not sure how to start? We got you . . .
Feeling nervous about the whole breastfeeding thing? We totally get it. That's why we gathered these tips, advice and helpful local resources to ensure your breastfeeding experien …Read More
Here's a tummy time how-to
Tummy time develops a baby's head, neck and shoulder muscles and leads to other important skills like crawling. Our local expert guides you through it here. …Read More
BLOG: Go ahead and play with your baby (even if you feel silly)
Blog question: I’ve heard I’m supposed to play with my baby – sing to her and talk to her while I’m getting her dressed or feeding her – but I feel really awkward and silly doing i …Read More
Bethesda Hospital East
Breastfeeding Resource Center in Boynton Beach561-737-7733, ext. 84162 Website Email
Breastfeeding Coalition of Palm Beach County
Local information, resources and support for breastfeeding via emailWebsite Email
Helpline - In collaboration with the Florida Breastfeeding Coalition, help is available for free to nursing families, expecting families and health care providers in need of support and information1-800-853-6614 Website Email
211 Palm Beach Treasure Coast
A helpline providing information, assessment, referral, telephone counseling, crisis intervention and suicide prevention, as well as online chats from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. daily2-1-1 Website Email