This achievement gap can narrow once children start school, but it often grows during the summer — when some children continue reading and learning while others don’t.
This gap compounds as the years pass by. By fifth grade, some children may be as much as two grade levels behind their peers.
That's why it's so important to keep your kids reading during the summer. Visit your local library for new, exciting books. Go to free cultural events to bring learning to life. And talk about your day, what's going on in the world around you and your family.
All of this will help ease that summer learning slide:
• Watch this video on The Statisticks Lottery for more details on the summer learning gap and its long-term impact on children.
• Click here to find a local library near you.
• Visit the Palm Beach County Cultural Council's calendar to find a kid-friendly cultural event near you.
• Check out the Palm Beach County School District's Learning at Home page for additional resources.
• Children’s Services Council of Pam Beach County