No time is the wrong time for down time. Encouraging children to choose when they want to relax and do something they love is essential. It can open their hearts to positive intentions.
1. Pick any time of the day to play and relax.
2. Let your child dictate how long the down time lasts.
3. Make it as simple or as complex as your child desires. For example, they can build a robot out of recycled materials, play with cars or stuffed animals, or just relax and listen to music in their bedroom.
4. Model down time as a parent. You deserve it too!
• Triple P (Positive Parenting Program), Center for Family Services of Palm Beach County