Staying home alone is very individualized based on the child’s maturity level. It should start with short periods, such as 15 to 30 minutes and then perhaps 45 to 60 minutes.
- Are they able to keep themselves safe for a short amount of time?
- Can you trust them to get an appropriate snack?
- Do they know how to contact 911 in case of an emergency?
- Can you trust them to independently start chores?
- Are they responsible enough to know homework comes before TV?
For a listing of all resources, click here.