Staying home alone is very individualized based on children’s maturity level instead of merely their age. It should start with short periods, such as 15 to 30 minutes, and then extend to perhaps 45 to 60 minutes.
- Are they able to keep themselves safe for a short amount of time?
- Can you trust them to get an appropriate snack?
- Do they know how to call 911 in case of an emergency?
- Can you trust them to independently start chores?
- Are they responsible enough to know homework comes before TV?