How to develop a birth plan
Before you go into labor, it is important to think about the different choices you will have to make during and immediately after delivery.
That is why a birth plan is so important. Your hospital may give you a birth plan to fill out. You also can find many different birth plans on the Internet and choose one that fits your needs.
Your birth plan is a way to express what you and your family want to happen during delivery.
Some things to consider:
• Who do you want in the delivery room?
• Are there any special traditions you want to have when your baby is born?
• Do you want to hold your baby immediately after delivery or after your baby is cleaned off and swaddled?
• Do you want to move around during labor?
• Do you want your partner to film or take photos in the delivery room?
• Do you want to avoid using pain medication?
• Do you want to be offered pain medication as soon as possible?
• Who do you want to cut the umbilical cord?
• What kind of support do you want during labor ,such as help with breathing, massage, etc.?
Think through the steps of labor and discuss the various options with the person who will be there to support you during labor and birth. Remember that while you may have a plan, it may be medically necessary for hospital staff to take certain actions.
Discuss your birth plan with your doctor in advance.
If you have questions about a birth plan, you can reach out to Healthy Mothers Healthy Babies Coalition of Palm Beach County at 561-623-2800.
You May Also Like
BLOG: Pregnant? Have a baby? WIC may be just right for you
Have you heard about WIC but aren't sure what it does and who it's for? This federal nutrition program offers tons of benefits to pregnant, nursing and new mothers and their childr …Read More
How to be your own health advocate while pregnant
Just like every child is unique, every pregnancy is unique. You know your body the best and you should not be afraid to ask questions or raise concerns. You are your #1 health advo …Read More
Pregnant? Take a deep breath . . . And another to relax
Did you know your stress can lead your baby to be born too small, too soon? Read on learn the consequences and what you can do to prevent it. …Read More
- Things to do
BRIDGES of Palm Beach County
Ten neighborhood hubs help parents raise children healthy, safe and strong561-740-7017 Website Email
Healthy Beginnings Entry Agency — provides free child development and social-emotional/behavioral screenings to Palm Beach County children through age 5 to determine if they're eligible for services funded by Children's Services Council561-383-9800 Website Email
Healthy Mothers, Healthy Babies Coalition of Palm Beach County
A safety net of local services and support for pregnant women and families with infants, focusing on racial disparities in birth outcomes561-623-2800 Website Email