For your freshman...
This Parent & Family Checklist helps your student achieve their academic goals!
Emphasize your student's need to continue to do well in school:
- Set goals for the academic year.
- Emphasis the importance of getting to school on time, every day.
- Be vocal about your expectations.
- Help your student stay organized and develop a homework routine.
- Discuss preparing for the PSAT.
- Talk to your student's school counselor to make sure your child is on track to graduate.
Engage with your student about these important topics:
- Get involved in your student’s school and encourage participation in activities, clubs, community services or sports.
- Get to know your student’s friends and their families.
- Help your student understand appropriate behavior on social media.
- Share your expectations and explain the possible consequences of risky behaviors like drinking, drugs, vaping, etc.
Explore with your student:
- Talk about future goals and help them create a plan.
- Start exploring careers and colleges using free online tools such as Big Future and MyCareerShines.
- Learn about ways to pay for college, such as scholarships and Federal Financial Aid.
- Create a post-secondary education saving account and encourage your student to contribute to it from part-time or summer jobs.
- Research free study supports for the PSAT and SAT, such as Khan Academy.
Achieve Palm Beach County