Ever dream of lying on a blanket on the grass under a bright blue sky, enjoying the sounds of children playing nearby while you picnic with your family?
In Palm Beach County, it's not a dream. We are lucky to have plenty of beautiful places to lay your blanket or find an open picnic table to embrace the outdoors with your family.
And there are countless benefits, such as:
- ENHANCING WELL-BEING: Being outdoors in a serene setting has been proven to boost moods, reduce stress levels and improve overall mental wellness. This is a chance for your family to escape the stresses of everyday life.
- BONDING WITH FAMILY: Many people live fast-paced lifestyles and don't slow down to spend meaningful time with people who matter. So play games, walk or simply sit still and bond over a good meal.
- COMMUNICATING BETTER: Small talk, or even deep conversations, are essential for a good picnic. Head out and learn more about what’s going on with your family members – whether it’s school, work or friends. Take the opportunity to connect with the people you care about and encourage effective communication skills in kids.
- DEVELOPING HEALTHY DIET: Instead of buying a premade meal for a picnic, try making it yourself. Preparations at home are typically healthier and more nutritious. Make sure you include all the basics for a full healthy meal.
- ENCOURAGING ACTIVE LIFESTYLE: Group or family picnics on a regular basis allows families to form traditions passed down from generation to generation. Make picnics a habit and turn it into an outing! Bring gear for games like tug-of-war, soccer or football and encourage the kids to fit in some physical activity.
Click here to find free picnic areas at county parks, available from sunrise to sunset on a first-come, first-served basis.
For more locations, check out the local city parks near you.
Bibi Baksh is a public relations specialist for Palm Beach County Parks and Recreation Department.