By accepting loss, we become emotionally healthy and can move forward, says Shellie Solomon, president of Children of Inmates based in nearby Broward County.
The grieving process has five stages: blame, denial, guilt, anger and acceptance. Children express these feelings through verbal, emotional and physical behaviors, such as:
- Talking or avoiding talk about the loss
- Physical complaints, such as stomachaches or headaches
- Academic failures or hyper achievement
- Appearing clingy, especially in younger children
- Regressive behaviors, typically in older children
Children of Inmates